The USS Zuni was decommissioned by the Coast Guard in 1994, then moved to the Nauticus on the waterfront in downtown Norfolk in 2011, where she remained for a brief stay. She was later moved to a private shipyard across the Elizabeth river where our team was honored to work with the shipyard owner to salvage some of her parts, prior to scuttling. This salvage job was featured in Season 2 of our DIY Network show, "Salvage Dawgs".
This hinged, 19" porthole features marine glade glass, a hefty cast brass, bronze and steel body and the original key. The window, or "portlight", also has a porthole storm cover, used to protect the window from heavy seas. The storm cover, referred to as a "deadlight" in maritime parlance, is also used to block light from entering lower berths when darkness is preferred. Storm covers used on navy and merchant marine ships were also used to prevent interior light from escaping the ship's lower berths, and to provide protection from hostile fire. The storm cover is fastened into the closed position by hand tightening several pivoting, threaded devices, commonly referred to as "dogs". This porthole includes the original "shutter dog" key. The Delta Zulu "DZ" manufacturer's tag is found on the face and back of the deadlight. A part number tag "5357" can be read beneath a thick paint layer on edge of the cover.
Measurements: 8"h x 19"diameter
Weight: 21 lb
Condition: Excellent. Solid construction. Paint loss and flaking, Wear and tear consistent with use over time in a harsh nautical environment.
History: The USS Zuni (AT/ATF-95), was a Cherokee-class fleet tugboat, formerly called Navajo class, was a ship of the United States Navy named for the Zuni, the popular name given to a tribe of Pueblo Indians indigenous to the area around the Zuni River in central New Mexico. As the USS Zuni, she performed missions in Pearl Harbor, the Central Pacific, the Phillipines and Iwo Jima. Zuni (AT-95) was laid down on 8 March 1943 at Portland, Oregon, by the Commercial Iron Works; launched on 31 July 1943; sponsored by Mrs. J. J. O'Donnell; and commissioned on 9 October 1943, Lieutenant Ray E. Chance in command.She was decommissioned on 29 June 1946 and transferred to the United States Coast Guard.
The ship was later renamed USCGC Tamaroa (WAT-166) and reclassified a Medium Endurance Cutter. As Tamaroa, she is best known for her rescue work during the "Perfect Storm" of 1991. She was decommissioned by the Coast Guard on 1 February 1994.
In late 2011 or early 2012 she suffered a major leak during a storm. Her owner decided that it was no longer worth keeping and turned her over to the shipyard owner.
Prior to scuttling, parts of the Tamaroa were removed by Black Dog Salvage for two episodes of the TV show "Salvage Dawgs". In 2017 the hull of the ship was scuttled off the coast of Cape May, New Jersey to add to an existing artificial reef. New Jersey and Delaware. It joins the Navy destroyer USS Arthur W. Radford 120 feet below the ocean’s surface on the Del-Jersey-Land Reef, which is managed by Delaware, New Jersey and Maryland. [wiki]