Description
This listing is for ONE Salvaged 12-foot-tall fluted cast iron column, salvaged from the historic Woods Hall at the University of Alabama **. The column features an integrated palm leaf capital and a slight taper from base to top. Rich architectural detailing and substantial scale make these columns a striking addition to any interior or exterior design project.
Condition:
Good condition with wear consistent with age. Each column has surface rust and pitting throughout due to long-term exposure to the elements. Inventory Notes:
We currently have four columns available. One column features a decorative band of star motifs around the capital (see photos), while the remaining three do not. Weight: 295 lbs.
Item Measurements-
Overall: 9(L) x 9(W) x 142(H)
Base: 5" diameter (approx.) ** History: The columns were salvaged from Woods Hall, on the University of Alabama. Constructed after the Civil War, this Tudor Gothic Revival structure was built of materials salvaged from the original campus that was burned by Federal Troops in April 1865. For almost two decades, Woods Hall housed the entire university.
In keeping with the University’s Military Governance (1860-1903), “The Barracks” -- as the hall was first designated--was patterned after buildings on the campus of VMI, the Virginia Military Institute.
In 1975, the railings were newly cast and raised to meet safety codes. At the same time, the wooden porches were replaced with fireproof concrete and steel.
Good condition with wear consistent with age. Each column has surface rust and pitting throughout due to long-term exposure to the elements. Inventory Notes:
We currently have four columns available. One column features a decorative band of star motifs around the capital (see photos), while the remaining three do not. Weight: 295 lbs.
Item Measurements-
Overall: 9(L) x 9(W) x 142(H)
Base: 5" diameter (approx.) ** History: The columns were salvaged from Woods Hall, on the University of Alabama. Constructed after the Civil War, this Tudor Gothic Revival structure was built of materials salvaged from the original campus that was burned by Federal Troops in April 1865. For almost two decades, Woods Hall housed the entire university.
In keeping with the University’s Military Governance (1860-1903), “The Barracks” -- as the hall was first designated--was patterned after buildings on the campus of VMI, the Virginia Military Institute.
In 1975, the railings were newly cast and raised to meet safety codes. At the same time, the wooden porches were replaced with fireproof concrete and steel.